Monday, May 3, 2010

I am Sam; Sam I am!

I enjoyed this Edutopia video about a 13-year-old girl named Sam. First of all- I remember being a 13-year-old girl- and I did not have nearly the amount of confidence that Sam has! Her passion for technology has really been a positive thing for her self image. One thing that worries me though is that Sam spends SO MUCH TIME on the internet! Sam said that on school days she spends approximately 2 hours on the internet, and on weekend days she can spend as much as 12 hours! That is a total of 34 hours a week. Add a school schedule, including homework- When does she go outside? And is it healthy for a person her age, no matter how well adjusted, to spend so much time face-to-computer rather than face-to-face? Though the time she spends on the internet is partly time on social networking sites, and partially completing homework- it still worries me a bit. My worry is based on my own experiences. I have friends, and a ex-boyfriend of 3 1/2 years, who spend so much time on the internet that they are unable to connect in person. I also feel that I was heartened by the section of time she spent making a video with her friends. She and the other two girls seemed to have a good face-to-face connection.



No comments:

Post a Comment