Monday, May 3, 2010

Don't get lost in the poppy field along the way

This K12 Online Confernce video by Joyce Valencia, entitled The Wizard Of Apps was a very creative parody of the movie adaptation of Frank Baum's The Wizard of Oz. While I feel at nearly an hour the video was too long to keep a viewer's attention (I had trouble staying engaged) it was done in a very creative format. Each of the actors in the video played a character from the original story. I was very impressed at the song adaptations the students wrote and acted out. Each one was sung as an introduction to a new section of website refernces.
Of the many websites Valencia offered, I was most interested in the websites that tracked your digital footprint. I tracked my own footprint on both pipl and 123people. After seeing my search I realized that my footprint was much larger than I thought. It was actually a little scary how much information was listed- including almost every address I have ever lived at. As a result I also deleted posts from my myspace page that I posted in my early 20s (that makes me sound old...I am only 26 now) that I realize now are inappropriate. Valencia also suggested many websites that could be used in the classroom. One in particular I thought could be used was Bitstrip. I thought it would be a fun way for students to present biographies or autobiographies. Though I had trouble finding the site, google mind-mapping was also promising. Not only could it be used to brainstorm, but it could also be used to do a plot-line map.



No comments:

Post a Comment